Learning begins with one to one or small group instruction
The academic profile of each student is developed by incorporating the results of several assessments administered upon enrollment in Pathways and then, a personalized plan, in accordance with the IEP, is developed.
Students usually begin by receiving 1:1 instruction and then progress to two students working together with one teacher. This individualized attention allows for rapid progress and the development of a healthy teacher-student relationship, which helps students overcome their anxiety, become comfortable in Pathways and then in mainstream Cornerstone classes.
- While we utilize the NJSLS, our teachers adjust the pace of instruction and are flexible with the content, all as a function of the individual needs of each student
- Instruction is delivered by teaching staff that rotates through the day working with students in each content area. The goal is to use teachers who will continue to work with the student once the student enters the general class setting.
- Instruction is frequently delivered on the suite’s “round table.” Hot chocolate and snacks are often served while students are working. Those who prefer to work alone and more privately can choose to work in a study cubicle. Others may choose to work curled up on the couch, working independently on their Chromebook.
- As students become more comfortable with one another, they naturally form connections and small groups. Once that occurs, project-based learning activities are introduced.
- Educational and/or clinical staff are always present in the Pathways suite when students are present.
- The stay in Pathways can be vary greatly, all as a function of what best helps each student.
- Schedules are highly flexible and determined by individual needs with some students participating in a shortened day, increasing their time at school as they experience therapeutic growth.
- When ready, students begin attending regular high school or middle school academic classes throughout the building, eventually leaving Pathways for the full Cornerstone Experience.