Answering the needs of both students and parents
Approximately 20% of all students referred to Cornerstone have a significant school avoidance problem. We have developed specialized clinical and educational protocols for these students that have proven to be highly successful. When a school avoidant student is enrolled at Cornerstone, he/she may begin in the mainstream structure or more typically, at Cornerstone’s specialized school-within-a-school setting, Pathways at Cornerstone Day School. In both settings, the student is assigned to a member of our school avoidance team and all clinical and education services are highly student-specific and emphasize stress-free experiences. Such individualized attention by both clinical and educational staff allows for rapid progress and the development of a healthy teacher-student relationship, which is key to helping students successfully attend regular Cornerstone classes.
Pathways at Cornerstone Day School is New Jersey’s most unique special education opportunity for students challenged by school avoidance and is the ideal first step for them to return to school. Here is what makes Pathways so special:
- A school within the school structure, Pathways is housed in a spacious and secluded suite adjacent to the mainstream setting and feels more like a living room with learning, eating and counseling areas rather than a standard classroom.
- Depending upon academic need and emotional readiness, each student receives either 1:1 or small group instruction.
- Clinical treatment incorporates proactive outreach activities such as home visits, nightly phone calls, family therapy and parent support programs.
- The stay in Pathways can be short or long, with flexible scheduling to meet late start/early dismissal needs.
- Most importantly, Pathways is not the end point but the starting point for each student. Once ready, a transition plan is developed that brings him/her into the school’s mainstream setting. There, they get to benefit from the full Cornerstone Experience which further prepares them to return to their home district.
Pathways at Cornerstone Day School offers the best of everything for school avoidant students: proven treatment and education strategies, a comforting stress-free setting and a strong road to thriving in school environments.